The Law Office of Ryan M. Gibson

Tucson Immigration and Criminal Defense Lawyer

Don’t wait, call us today

Passport Questions part 3

passport, tickets and visa


What if I need to leave the country in an emergency to visit a family member in the hospital and I do not have a passport?

This is a situation I hope never happens to anyone but there are options provided it truly is an emergency and it involves an immediate family member. The U.S. State Department is asked this often and provides the answer below on their extremely informative website.

“Life or Death Emergencies involve serious illness, injury, or death in your immediate family that require you to travel within 24-48 hours to a country that requires a passport. Customers must appear in person at a passport agency for emergency service and documentation of the emergency may be requested.

Please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY/TDD 1-888-874-7793) to schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Agency. Our automated appointment system is accessible every day, 24 hours a day.

If an appointment that will meet your needs is not available and you are calling from 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m., EST, Monday-Friday, except federal holidays, please stay on the line and follow instructions to speak to a Customer Service Representative (CSR). The CSR will give you guidance on what to do.

If an appointment that will meet your needs is not available and you are calling on a federal holiday or during hours the CSRs are not available, please call 202-647-4000 and explain your situation to the operator.”

Leave a comment